CAVE ASTROLA TELESCOPES
10" f/7 Cave Astrola under restoration by Jack Harper
Primary Mirror inscribed: M749387. 70" FL. Cave Optical Company. June 19, 1974
Cave Optical Company of Long Beach, California produced thousands of high quality telescopes for advanced amateurs and universities during the 1950s through the 1970's.
The telescopes have high quality optics and massive mounts and are rapidly becoming collectors items.
Following are scanned images of the pages of the 28-page Cave Optical Company catalog for 1975 along with the separate two price sheets. The thumbnail photos are in order -- left to right for the front cover and pages 1, 2, 3,... ,26, and the back cover -- Click on an image to see the full size page.
Note the beautiful classic larger observatory scopes up to 18 1/2 inches diameter:
Cave Optical 1975 Catalog
(Click on Image for Larger Size)
Links to Interesting Cave Astrola Related Sites
- Thomas Cave was the founder and operator of Cave Optical until it shut down in 1980. The link is to an excellent writeup by Masatsugu Minami, Director of the OAA Mars Section, on Mr. Cave. Thomas Cave died on June 4, 2003.
- Very nice writeup with photos on Thomas Cave and his Long Beach, California backyard observatory.
- Al Paslow's 10" f 7.2 Cave Astrola manufactured in 1958. Lots of detail photographs.
- College of St Benedict's 12.5" Astrola in Minnesota. Very nice photos of the optional Cave rotating rings.
- Moravian College in Pennsylvania has a very nice Astrola 12".
- Lake County Astronomical Society/Illinois has a nice writeup on the Cave Optical Company.
- Randy Smith shows photos of the Astrola 8" that he had in 1974.
- Jeff Huston's Cave Astrola Owners/Enthusiasts Exchange web site has photographs and links to stories by current owners of Cave telescopes.
- ...and last but certainly not least, is Roland Chavez's absolutely gorgeous restored 12.5-inch Cave mounted on a Parks Optical equatorial mount. This is one of the most beautiful surviving Astrola 'scopes left on this planet.
http://www.frobenius.com/cave.htm -- Last Revision: 23 April 2010
Copyright © 1996 - 2015 Jack Harper (unless otherwise noted)